Braces treatment offers some of the best results for your wellbeing, restoring confidence and health in many. However, it can be frustrating gigving up some of your favorite foods to ensure your treatment is 100% successful. Here are a few foods and drinks to avoid and some alternatives!
- Caramel. As it is extremely sweet and sticky, caramel is the arch nemesis of braces. It can easily become lodged in between the nooks and crannies of your braces which then does damage to your brace and your teeth. It also makes it difficult to clean your brace. Alternative? Algave Syrup – although it’s not solid candy, algave syrup is a great sugar alternative that you can add to natural yoghurt – delicious!
- Popcorn. It is best to avoid all types of popcorn whilst you are wearing braces – especially the toffee-covered kind. The kernals can also damage your braces, becoming stuck between the brackets of your brace and causing your teeth discomfort. Alternative? Although it’s still sweet, gingerbread is a good alternative as it does not interfere with your braces like other sweet foods do. If you are going to break the rules when you’re undergoing braces treatment, this is probably the lesser of quite a few evils!
- Red wine. Red wine contains tannis which stains the teeth and wears down the enamel – considerably more than other alcoholic drinks. Alternative? It is a really big no-no to drink red wine if you’re wearing braces, but if you’re going to, be sure to consume a large glass of water to wash away the tannis. Try to brush your teeth about an hour after drinking red wine, as if left any longer, the teeth start to stain (plaque starts building up roughly 3 hours after eating)!
Brace-friendly kids foods/meals
- Macaroni & Cheese. Cheese is famously good for your teeth and has been proven to make your teeth stronger due to the calcium it contains. As well as being teeth-friendly, it also doesn’t get stuck in and around braces. Macaroni is also a good choice as it is a smooth carb rather than a crunchy one.
- Ice Cream. So many foods are off-limits with braces, but luckily not this one! We all know ice-cream is notorious for turning your teeth sensitive. However, it’s certainly a desert that’s not going to get stuck in your brace and jeopardise your child’s recovery. It is important to remember that ice-cream should be enjoyed as part of a balanced and nutritious diet.
- Burittos. Buritos are a good choice as their contents is made up of soft and healthy and tooth-friendly foods. Rice, beef, pork, cheese, avocado, tomato and salsa are staple foods that will not affect your child’s braces, providing they have a good cleaning routine in place for after mealtimes. 01443884733